Boot Time Reduction
Arjav Parikh
2018-04-11 13:15:34 UTC
Hi,

I want to reduce boot time in my product. I disabled all unnecessary
modules/libraries and scripts which get load at boot time.
After this my boot time is approx 9 sec. I still want to further reduce it.

From debugs i identified 2 places where approx 1 sec is utilized (total 2
sec).
*a.* When preinit is called At *[ 3.780354] init: - preinit - *and
before mounting file system at
* [ 4.913811] UBIFS (ubi0:2): background thread "ubifs_bgt0_2" started,
PID 104b.* When ubus daemon is called At* [ 5.828610] procd: - ubus -
and *before init process is called at
* [ 6.864240] procd: - init -*Attached debugs file for reference.

The delay highlighted in above two locations can be reduced or not?
--
Thanks & Regards,
Arjav Parikh
Koen Vandeputte
2018-04-11 13:27:29 UTC
1)
Your file shows awk is missing.
I would recommend adding it, as it's a common tool used by many scripts
this can cause nasty side effects.

2)
Which target device is this?
Some targets with small flash build the kernel for size iso speed by
default.

If you target is such one, you can run "make kernel_menuconfig" and
optimize the kernel build for speed. (->General Setup)
This should improve boot-up speed a bit (at least on my boards)

Koen
Post by Arjav Parikh
Hi,
I want to reduce boot time in my product. I disabled all unnecessary
modules/libraries and scripts which get load at boot time.
After this my boot time is approx 9 sec. I still want to further reduce it.
From debugs i identified 2 places where approx 1 sec is utilized
(total 2 sec).
Arjav Parikh
2018-04-12 04:26:59 UTC
Hi,

I have disabled many core-utils as it was not being used and awk was part
of it.
Target device is IPQ8064. Whatever I could disable through menuconfig &
kernel_menuconfig has been done. Now as mentioned in previous mail only at
that two locations I see some process consuming lot of time.
Is it possible to reduce the time consumed by the process?

Post by Arjav Parikh
Hi,
I want to reduce boot time in my product. I disabled all unnecessary
modules/libraries and scripts which get load at boot time.
After this my boot time is approx 9 sec. I still want to further reduce it.
From debugs i identified 2 places where approx 1 sec is utilized (total 2
Arjav Parikh
Bas Mevissen
2018-04-12 10:44:38 UTC
Post by Arjav Parikh
Hi,
(...)
Now as mentioned in previous mail only
at that two locations I see some process consuming lot of time.
Is it possible to reduce the time consumed by the process?
Isn't the long time between pre-init and ubi mount due to the lengthy
block scan that the ubi layer performs? In that case, switching to
squashfs with optionally an overlay might reduce the mount time.
--
Bas.