Migrating packages from oldpackages to packages
Peter Denison
2018-03-04 10:39:59 UTC
When migrating a package from the unmaintained 'oldpackages' feed to the
main 'packages' feed:

1) Should I try to preserve history? If so, how do I do that on just one
directory (my git-fu is not that good)?

2) Is it acceptable / preferable to do two commits, one to move the
package as is, and a second to bring it up to date and fix its building,
or should it just be a single commit?

3) Do I need to do anything other than a pull request on github to offer
to maintain a package? (Presumably also a pull request to delete it from
oldpackages)

Many thanks,

Peter Denison <***@marshadder.org>
Hauke Mehrtens
2018-03-04 13:35:25 UTC
Post by Peter Denison
When migrating a package from the unmaintained 'oldpackages' feed to the
1) Should I try to preserve history? If so, how do I do that on just one
directory (my git-fu is not that good)?
No this is not needed, you can add this in one commit. Just mention in
the commit message where you have copied it from.
Post by Peter Denison
2) Is it acceptable / preferable to do two commits, one to move the
package as is, and a second to bring it up to date and fix its building,
or should it just be a single commit?
You can do this in one commit.
Post by Peter Denison
3) Do I need to do anything other than a pull request on github to offer
to maintain a package? (Presumably also a pull request to delete it from
oldpackages)
No not really, you should probably update the package to a more recent
version I assume that version in oldpackage is outdated.

Hauke
Peter Denison
2018-03-06 18:00:49 UTC
Post by Peter Denison
2) Is it acceptable / preferable to do two commits, one to move the
package as is, and a second to bring it up to date and fix its building,
or should it just be a single commit?
You can do this in one commit.
OK. I have adjusted the commit(s).
Post by Hauke Mehrtens
Post by Peter Denison
3) Do I need to do anything other than a pull request on github to offer
to maintain a package? (Presumably also a pull request to delete it from
oldpackages)
No not really, you should probably update the package to a more recent
version I assume that version in oldpackage is outdated.
Yes, it was. I have updated to the most recent version, which fortunately
reduces the dependencies.

I've raised PR#5715 on github for the adoption of gkrellmd. Many thanks
for your advice. Will you delete it from oldpackages when it goes in to
packages, or would you also like a PR for that?

Peter
--
Peter Denison <***@marshadder.org>